Scholarship Applications for the
2023-2024 School Year Are Open
The scholarship application process is competitive. Scholarship awards are paid from a dedicated Scholarship Fund that is supported by donations.
Scholarships will not exceed 33% of tuition. The number of scholarships and the amount of each award will depend on the yearly availability of funds. At this time, BHC only accepts scholarship applications from students who begin or continue study in the Fall semester.
To be eligible for an BHC Scholarship, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
Acceptance and enrollment into one of the following BHC courses: Foundations, Therapeutics, Village Herbalist or Clinical Internship. At this time, we are not awarding scholarships for the apprenticeship program. Scholarship applicants, like all other students, pay a deposit upon enrollment. However, the deposit will be refunded upon request to scholarship applicants who do not receive awards, or if an award they receive is insufficient for them to attend BHC.
Financial need, defined as household income up to 200% of Federal Poverty Level*(see below). Applicants must submit documentation of need: their previous-year tax return, or other proof of income approved by the BHC Director.
Commitment to herbal education, community and public service
Completion of the BHC Scholarship Application, including documentation of financial need, personal statement, and letters of recommendation. Please see the BHC Scholarship application form for detailed instructions.
- Scholarship recipients are expected to perform a least 4hrs/month of volunteer community service. Such service can take place in the BHC community clinic or garden, the Charlotte Maxwell clinics, or other venues approved by the BHC director. Returning awardees who wish to apply for continuing scholarships must A) successfully complete their previous year in the program, and B) provide documentation of at least 4hrs/month of volunteer community/public service during that year.
Awards will be paid directly towards your BHC tuition, for successful applicants who are enrolled and in good standing.
All BHC students must remain in good standing. Students who are not in good standing are subject to expulsion from the school.
Scholarships paid for students who leave or are expelled during the tuition refund period (30 days) will be returned to the scholarship fund.
Scholarship Applications for the 2023-2024 School Year Are Open!
Before starting your application, please ensure you have the following documents ready as you’ll be asked to upload them within your application.
- Notice of acceptance into an eligible BHC program, and payment of deposit.
- Evidence of financial need.
- Two reference letters (new applicants only.)
- Documentation of at least 4 hours per month of current volunteer service (renewal applicants only).
Completed applications must be sent in 3 months prior to the first day of class.
Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
*2020 BHC Scholarship Income Eligibility
Maximum gross income per family:
1 person = $23,540
2 people = $31,860
3 people = $40,180
4 people = $48,500
5 people = $56,820
6 people = $65,140
7 people = $73,460
8 people =$81,780
If you have questions about the scholarship application process please feel free to email us at