With the windy, dark, chill of autumn settling in and the holiday season is ramping up, we’re certainly seeing a rise in stress within our communities. If you’re feeling the pressure right now, you’re not alone.
Today, we’re sharing one of our favorite night time herbal recipes with you. This is especially helpful if you’re missing out on sleep due to stress, or if you can’t seem to calm the nervous thoughts racing through your mind at night.
This anti-inflammatory night time tea recipe will help you sleep, calm your adrenals, and give your body a boost of nutrients to help you heal while you’re peacefully dreaming through the night.
Calming Golden Milk Recipe with Turmeric
We call it Golden Milk because this delicious night time drink is golden! The turmeric in this recipe gives it the gorgeous color – don’t underestimate the calming power of beautiful things.
This will make quite a bit of tea, so you can make a batch of it once a week or so and then you can just heat it up before bed!
Golden Milk Ingredients
Feel free to play around with the measurements of the recipe and make it taste good for you!
- 2 Tbsp Cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp Turmeric
- 1 Tbsp Kava
- 1 Tbsp Astragalus Root
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- Optional: ginger, marshmallow root, vanilla extract, nutmeg, clove.
- 3 Tbsp Cold pressed coconut oil (or butter for a creamier drink)
- 3 Cups filtered water
- 2 Cup almond milk (or coconut milk from a can if you like it thick)
- Raw honey to taste (maple syrup or molasses are good here too, molasses helps with iron)
How to Make Your Calming Drink
- Melt the coconut oil on low.
- Add the cacao and stir it so that its all melted smoothly together – be careful not to burn it.
- Mix in your milk and water.
- Add the astragalus, turmeric, and kava, cinnamon, and black pepper – simmer on low for 20-30ish minutes, stirring often.
- Add any other optional herbs and let simmer for another 5ish minutes.
- Strain your tea into a glass jar.
- Stir in your honey to taste.
About the Herbs in Your Golden Milk
Cacao powder is high in antioxidants, magnesium, and calcium, which makes it calming and helpful for gaining a restful night’s sleep.
Turmeric is liver protective, blood cleansing, and very anti-inflammatory, which make it great for stagnation issues that can cause stress in the body.
Kava acts on the central nervous system and is wonderfully calming for the feeling of anxiety or stress in most people.
Astragalus Root is an adaptogen helping with fatigue and stimulating blood building and kidney circulation.
Cinnamon is a stimulant to help push nutrients throughout the entire body along with being a blood sugar balancer.
Black pepper increases the virility of turmeric by 200%, it adds a little kick in this calming tea, and offers a bit of liver cleansing power of its own to the mix.
Have you tried this golden milk recipe? What did you think?